Transom Traveling Workshops are on-site intensive trainings, tailored to your needs: one day, a few days, all the way up to one week. Groups vary in size and experience.
Upcoming Traveling Workshops
Applications for the Summer 2017 week-long Workshops are now open. You can find out more here.
If you’d like to be informed about upcoming Workshops, please write to us at info [at] transom.org and we will add you to our Workshop email list.
Week Long Workshops Examples
This one-week workshop provides beginning producers skills in:
- Using field-recording gear.
- Approaching and interviewing strangers.
- Writing for radio.
- Voicing narration.
- Digital editing (Hindenburg or ProTools software).
- Basic journalism ethics.
- Two audio promos.
- A short vox pop.
Audio Narrative Short Course
In this one-week workshop, we expand on the Boot Camp to enhance skills in:
- Finding stories and arranging interviews.
- Field recording — collecting voices, natural sounds, and ambience.
- Interviewing techniques.
- Gathering interview and action tape.
- Multi-track digital editing, including use of natural sounds and interview tape.
- Script writing and editing.
- Voicing techniques for the studio.
- A short broadcast-quality piece about an interesting person.
- Promo/pitch text describing the piece.
We will work with you in designing a program to fit your needs including all of the above plus oral history, multimedia, tech training, storytelling for non-profit organizations and more.
Rob Rosenthal, Lead Instructor
Rob Rosenthal is an independent producer and a teacher. He’s the host for the HowSound podcast – a joint project of PRX and Transom – on radio storytelling. He started and then ran the Salt Institute for Documentary Studies’ radio track for 11 years. And, he is now the lead teacher for the Transom Story Workshop, which launched in the fall of 2011.
Workshop Options & Scheduling
Contact us at info [at] Transom [dot] org to learn about options, scheduling, and rates for your station’s or organization’s Workshop.
All Workshops include use of Transom’s name, marketing via Transom.org, Transom’s social media network, and our Workshop mailing list. Transom can handle the application process for an additional fee.